Back to focus index
CIAO Focus, November 2009: Update on Maritime Piracy
- Total number of attacks reported to the Piracy Reporting Centre to date this year: 294
- Successful hijackings of vessels so far this year: 34
- Total number of hostages taken in these hijackings: 559
- The majority of hijackings have taken place off the coast of Somalia.
- Somali pirates have accounted for 32 hijackings with 532 people taken hostage. Four people were killed.
- Somali pirates are currently holding four ships and 82 crew members off the east coast of Somalia.
- Since September 16th there have been six attacks off the coast of Somalia although none succeeded in a hijacking.
- Attacks in the South China Sea: 9
- Attacks in Malaysian waters: 14
- Total number of reported attacks off Indonesia: 7 (compared to 28 in 2008)
From the CIAO Database:
Counting the Costs of Somali Piracy
Piracy, maritime terrorism and naval strategy
Pirates, Then and Now
Pirates off the port side! Old problem - new topicality
Small Boats, Weak States, Dirty Money: Piracy & Maritime Terrorism in the Modern World (Book)
Outside Sources: *
IMB Piracy Reporting Centre
International Maritime Organization
Institute for the Analysis for Global Security
Overseas Security Advisory Council
* Outside links are not maintained. For broken outside links, CIAO recommends the Way Back Machine.